Known as the burial place of the poet Lord Byron, the church overlooks the market place in Hucknall. A church has stood on this site from Saxon times, with foundations found under the nave in the 1930s. The tower was constructed between the 12th and 14th Century, with the main part of the building the result of extensive renovation beginning in 1872.
The church has the largest collection of stained glass windows by the artist C. E. Kemp, the most revered of Victorian Stained Glass Window artists, as well as some rare wall paintings. Within the church yard is a memorial garden to Byron. Ben Caunt, the Victorian Prize Fighter, is also buried here; it is believed that the Westminster bell ‘Big Ben’ is named after him.
The Byron family vault includes the bodies of the poet and his daughter Ada Lovelace who is hailed as the world’s first computer programmer. Adjacent to the church is a statue of Byron located in a niche, high above street level, in the wall of the old Co-op building.
Thousands of visitors come to the church each year, which is open six days a week.
3 Ogle St, Hucknall, Nottingham NG15 7AZ